Thursday 6 August 2015

Peanut Brownies










 
Peanut Brownies



The first memory that comes to mind when I mention Peanut Brownies, is that of mums baking. Peanut Brownies were part of the baking regime in our house back in my childhood days… it was just one of the many standard Edmonds recipes that our mums tended to make.  To tell you the truth I haven’t eaten a Peanut Brownie for a very long time, and I have hardly made them as well, but I really felt I had to recreate this classic recipe, from the classic cookbook that nearly every New Zealander owns, which is the Edmonds cookbook.


edmonds baking powder

These days I don’t really use my Edmonds cookbook that much, as there are so many other cookbooks and recipes that I prefer, but there will always be a few favourites and old classic recipes that I will consult back to when I need to.
I am mostly drawn to cookbooks with incredible photography, and I find I just love flicking through the pages, being tempted by the mouthwatering food, even if I never get round to making the recipe – for me there is a visual indulgence.

peanut brownies
The reality of my life is that there really isn’t always time to make these elaborate fancy foods, except on special occasions, and at the end of the day I often need to feed my four hungry kids, so you can see why I often end up with speedy recipes.
And the truth of the matter is I seem to only have time to photograph the baking because it can last slightly longer than many of the meals I prepare…  of course I hope to squeeze in some more  savoury recipes at some point.  At the end of the day the photography and available natural light play a huge part for me in presenting the food and recipes that I share with you…
peanut brownies

Peanut Brownies
  • 125g butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp. cocoa
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • pinch of salt

  1. Cream butter and sugar, then add egg and beat well.
  2. Add flour, baking powder, cocoa and salt and mix well.
  3. Mix in the peanuts.
  4. Place spoonfuls of mixture onto a baking tray and then flatten with a fork.
  5. Bake 180c for 15mins.
(Recipe from the Edmonds Cookbook)

No comments:

Post a Comment